Cybersecurity is the practice of defending computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks, and data from malicious attacks, damage, or unauthorized access. The term applies in a variety of contexts, from business to mobile computing, and can be referred to as information technology security.
Cyber-attacks are usually aimed at accessing, changing, or destroying sensitive information, extorting money from users, or even interrupting normal business processes. To secure a computer system, it is important to understand the attacks that can be made against it, and these threats can typically be classified into one of these categories below:
Backdoor – A secret method of bypassing normal authentication or security controls. They could exist either by original design or from poor configuration.
Denial-of-service attacks (DOS) – Designed to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its intended users.
Direct-access attacks – These could include; Unauthorized users gaining access to a computer, operating system modifications, installing software worms, and covert listening devices/using a wireless microphone.
Eavesdropping – using computer programs that can listen to a private computer “conversation” (communication) typically between hosts on a network.
Social engineering – This aims to convince a user to disclose secrets such as passwords, card numbers, etc., or grant physical access.
Ransomware – It is a type of malicious software designed to extort money by blocking access to files or the computer system until the ransom is paid. Paying the ransom does not guarantee that the files will be recovered or the system restored.
Malware – Software designed to gain unauthorized access or to cause damage to a computer.
The importance of cybersecurity
- With the introduction of new technologies, the chances of cyber threats and risks are also rapidly increasing so ensuring cybersecurity is a better way to protect your computer systems and valuable data.
- It prevents identity threats, extortion attempts, and loss of important data like medical information in hospitals.
Here are Essential ways you can ensure cybersecurity;
- Choose strong passwords for your computer systems and programs
- If you are a constant email user, be careful of clicking on attachments and links that are coming especially from unknown sources.
- Contact our professionals at Infinity Computers (I3C) for cybersecurity solutions to protect you against hackers, DNS spoofing, email spamming, and mostly to ensure security on your network, as well as on the cloud.